Thursday, March 24, 2016

What does it mean to engage in an honest pursuit of Truth?

First thing I want to say, briefly, is an apology for my seeming lack of a post last week.  I actually did post but it was a draft I had written up back in February but hadn't found a good time to post.  So it apparently posted with the original draft date instead of for last week.  I have since learned that I am a dingus and have learned how to make sure that doesn't happen again =)

Short Version:

Now, I have a small confession: I listen to Catholic radio almost daily.  I am not saying anything bad about the Catholic Church!  Please recognize that right now.  I am a firm believer that we can learn truth from anyone.  The Spirit has equal opportunity and ability to speak Truth by various modes and means.  I do not agree with the Catholic Church on certain theological issues or some points of policy.  There is no need to list these here.  However, I sincerely appreciate the Catholic respect for the authority of Scripture, the reverence for mystery of the faith, and the appreciation for the tradition of the Church.  I have been able to grow from listening to Catholic radio, believe it or not.  I have been stretched by the study of scripture and of tradition and of God on the radio.  Weird, right?

I have an overwhelming appreciation for Dietrich Bonhoeffer as well.  In my senior year I was "forced" to read the biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer written by Eric Metaxas and, while biographies are rarely fun to read, I are it up.  I loved it.  I learned from the life of Bonhoeffer.  I was stretched and challenged.  Again, theology and policy might be different, but I still learned and grew so much from him.  I have had the privilege to grow from his life and works despite the fact that he was forgotten by many and studied by few.

Why am I talking about any of this?  Because I think it is imperative that we keep open minds and open hears.  Because I know that there is so much more to learn and to grow and that there is so much more stretching to take place.  Am I saying that listening to Catholic radio and reading a biography of a Lutheran theologian are life changing? Not necessarily.  Am I saying that these things, and others, can bring us closer to God?  I think I am.  Whether I reject or accept any truth put before me makes no difference...unless it is the Truth that I am rejecting.  But as long as I do so by searching in honest pursuit of Truth, rejection or acceptance of these truths matter almost none at all.  I have found that it is often the pursuit of Truth that really promotes the growth in my life, and maybe others', too..  And if that is the case, then to reject Truth is sin.  The Truth that brings us closer to right relationship with God and with others.  If that is our intention, then I think we can grow closer to God by keeping open hearts and open minds to those of other beliefs, theologies, policies, practices, worldviews, etc.

Always Seeking Truth,


Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment