There are times in my life that I get so frustrated with how
bad things are going and other days where I could simply leap for joy. Typical life stuff, ya know? However, I have to say that I have been
having some great experiences as of late.
I was able to preach to youth, had a great conversation with a student,
I was able to engage in an open conversation with someone from another religion
and learn from them (as they hopefully learned a little from me), and I was
able to enjoy coffee with a friend and mentor.
All in all, a pretty good week! I
have also been working on a small lesson for the local youth group about
Galatians 2. I don’t have much to say
about that chapter nor do I want to copy and paste it all here since, if you
are reading this, can look it up on the internet that you are now on.
That’s right. I’m on
to you. Don’t be lazy. Use that google search bar at the top of your
screen!
I do want to say that I noticed in Galatians 2 that there
are several themes to pull out but one that really hit me this week is that the
chapter seems to have a lot to do with encouragement. At least, that is what I have noticed. After Paul has been teaching and preaching
all over the place he comes to Jerusalem to tell the leaders there about all
that he has been teaching the Gentiles.
What do they do? They encourage
and affirm him! On top of that, they
didn’t even have anything negative to say or anything to critique him on. They thought he was doing a rather bang up
job, in fact! Despite their differences
in teaching/preaching styles, audiences, and probably even their resources,
they just wanted to affirm Paul and his friends! Then, as if they simply had to give them some
kind of advice, Peter, James, and John remind them to help the poor (which they
were already doing), just as a reminder.
Why is it so difficult for us as Christians to offer
encouragement despite differences? Too
often it seems that we, and I am definitely included in this, just nit-pick at
our pastors, preachers, and teachers.
Then, in the last half of the chapter, Peter really goofs up. Just in time to temper the beginning of the
chapter involving encouragement, Paul offers some reproof for Peter when he
really flubs up. It is vitally important
to offer encouragement as often as possible but it is also vitally important to
correct someone when they are clearly in the wrong.
Simply, as a default, we should offer encouragement and
affirmation. Then, as needed, the
apostles instruct us to gently correct someone who is in the wrong.
Although, please realize that just because someone believes
differently then you doesn’t mean they are necessarily wrong. Peter, in this instance, was not showing love
to others (one of Jesus’ two most important commandments) and so he was shown
the error of his way and he corrected his actions. Now, if it had been about Peter believing
that Christ would come back on a Tuesday while Paul believed he would come back
on a Thursday, then that would be an issue of difference in belief but not one
that necessarily needs corrected. I hope
that makes sense =)
Just a brief thought on this week. A special thank you to those who have
encouraged me, affirmed me, and occasionally corrected me!
Always Seeking Truth,
Dylan
No comments:
Post a Comment